Silicones have good ozone and weather resistance as well as good insulating and physiologically neutral properties. However, silicone elastomers as a group have relatively low tensile strength, poor tear strength and little wear resistance.
Various grades of FDA (food approved) silicone available.
- Up to approximately 204°C (400°F) special compounds up to 260°C (500°F)
- Down to approximately -54°C (-65°F) special compounds down to -115°C (-175°F)
- Animal and vegetable oil and grease
- High molecular weight chlorinated aromatic hydrocarbons (including flame-resistant insulators,and coolant for transformers)
- Moderate water resistance
- Diluted salt solutions
- Ozone, ageing and weather